Friday, July 25, 2008

Sea Anglers Club, China Bay, Trincomalee


A group of us spent a wonderful long weekend July 17th to 20th at the Sea Angler's club in Trincomalee. It was also a welcome break for me from the trying conditions I have been encountering lately.

I Took the Rs 40 bus ride from my place in Raja Ela to Habarana Junction where I was picked up by these friends. At the end of the trip I was dropped at Habarana Junction and returned to my farm in Polonnaruwa, by bus. The security checks on the way back are very thorough so one has to add an hour to the journey time. In fact once there is peace in this area I can get to the Sea Anglers from my place in Ratmale in about 75 minutes at most. Thats how close I am to Trinco with no check points delay the journey.


The Club is both old and looks old, but has character and there are plans to upgrade all the facilities. The wing where the main rooms are have been done up and are clean and quite comfortable. The windy conditions meant no mosquitos and no requirement even for a fan to get a good nights sleep Compared to my basic facilities in Polonnaruwa this was positively luxurious. The club is known for attracting Sea Anglers and also known for its killer crab curry. We had that for two lunches. Due to the security situation, there are rooms always available, though there are no threats at this point and everyone around seems to be going about their daily activities.


The bay at dusk on Esala Poya evening.



The row of rooms overlooking Clapemburg Bay where the Sea Anglers Club is located

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go there all the time when my dad's friend Errol Arnolda was the manager.Any idea who runs the place now? I forgot to pick up my memnership forms the last time I was there and now I haven't been in almost 2 years. Really miss Trinco and China Bay. One of the few places I can go to, to really escape

Anonymous said...

You have said you live in Raja Ela is in the Kantale area? if so please get in touch with me as I am desperately seeking a person with good english skills to communicate with me and help me on a project i am doing for children in Kantale . Please please contact me on t.edwards@sdgworld.net
Thanks Tina Edward Gunawardhana

Rajaratarala said...

Raja Ela, Hingurakgoda which is off Minneriya in the Polonnaruwa district.

I get on line so rarely and have problems accessing my gmail that I cant send you a mail at the moment.

Unknown said...

Errol was the manager about 5 years ago & the new managers is Kenneth Jansz & the club contact numbers are 026-2233102 or 3. But for booking please email sea.anglers@gmail.com or call Confifi Management Services on 2333320 to 4 & speak to Sandhya.

Anonymous said...

Well said.